Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Painted Card


This was a fun card to make and used a technique that I had been wanting to try for a few weeks.  I had trouble finding just the right overlay.  I first learned this technique in a class taught by Tim Holtz when I attended a Creating Keepsakes University in Houston in earlier this summer.

To achieve this look you take a clear transparency that is screenprinted.  The one that I used when I learned this technique was screenprinted with black and I loved the look of that.  I have searched all over and I have not found one in black that I could buy locally.  I did find this one at our local Archiver's store last week that is screen printed in silver.  It was made by Hambly Screen Prints- I checked their website and they do have lots of different styles and colors to choose from.

Once you cut the overlay to your desired size you paint the overlay on one side with Adirondack's Acrylic Paint Dabber (I used the color Lettuce which is a great match for Stampin' Up!'s Old Olive Cardstock.  Then lay this directly onto your cardstock.  The paint dries and acts as a glue to hold the overlay on the card.  You can see the detail in the photos where it gives a neat texture to the look of the card.  You could achieve a similar look of this card just by placing a colored piece of cardstock behind the overlay but it would be lacking the textured appearance.

I enjoyed trying out this technique again and was happy with the look that it gave to the card.

Supplies:
Cardstock:  Old Olive and Not Quite Navy- Stampin' Up!
Overlay:  Hambly Screen Prints
Sentiment:  from Stampin' Up! set A Beautiful Thing
Paint:  Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabber (Lettuce)
Misc.: Spellbinders Nestabilities, Versamark Pad, Silver Embossing Powder

No comments: